The 3 ingredient peanut butter cookie has been around for a little while and it traditionally uses peanut butter, sugar and an egg. So what would be the best replacement for that egg to make them the perfect vegan recipe? I tried a couple of different ones and I have to say hands down it is the flax meal. The cookie doesn’t need a lot of rise and the flax seed really binds the cookie so it is not crumbling all over you. Plus it’s healthy right? Ok, they are not healthy really but a wonderful quick treat. They have a simple peanut butter flavor and a somewhat shortbread like texture. They definitely more melt in your mouth than the soft and complex class peanut butter cookies you can find here.
I really like salted crunchy peanut butter for these, I used Trader Joe’s Salted Crunchy. You can use your favorite kind of peanut butter, just make sure it is well combined and all the natural oils are mixed in well. They also make a wonderful peanut butter crust for pies and tarts. Grind them up and add your favorite plant based butter and it is ready to go!
Okay, I won’t talk any more in this post. I’m guessing if you are reading this recipe you need a cookie NOW! And I respect that.
The Easiest Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies
- 256 g (1 cup) Salted Peanut Butter
- 200 g (1 cup) Sugar White or Brown
- 1 tbsp Flax Meal (ground flax seeds)
- 3 tbsp Water
- Preheat oven to 350F. In a medium mixing bowl stir together your water and flax meal. Then add the sugar and peanut butter and mix well until fully combined (you can do this in an electric mixer if preferred, but not necessary).
- Your dough should be firm but pliable. Roll out 1 inch balls of the dough and place on a cookie sheet (I use a tablespoon to scoop out the dough, which is approximately a 1 inch ball). Place the dough at least 2 inches apart.
- With the back of a fork, press the criss cross pattern into the top of the cookie. Bake for 13-15 minutes until slight browning and the cookies have a fainted "toasted" smell. Let cool for a minute or two and these cookies are ready to eat!