Rustic layer cakes are my favorite types of cakes to make. They have a simplistic beauty and put the focus on the ingredients. As long as you follow some simple steps and have the right tools and ingredients, they can be very easy to make! I have a video below that you can follow along with and the recipes and tools that I use to create this look!
for the cake
- For the cake in the video I used my basic vanilla cake recipe. I doubled the recipe (which will make two 8 inch layers or three 6 inch layers) and baked it for about 35 minutes.
- Any light cake recipe will work but heavy cakes like gingerbread or carrot do not layer well.
- If you are in a rush, boxed cake mixes work particularly well for this!
- Make sure your cake is completely cooled. I make mine the night before and cool them in the pan covered in plastic wrap.
for the buttercream
- The buttercream may be the most important part of this recipe. If the buttercream is too soft, your cake won’t stay straight and upright, if it is too stiff, you won’t be able to spread it without tearing the cake. I used my American Buttercream recipe with 1 cup Country Crock Plant butter and 1 cup Shortening (Spectrum – not Crisco).
- Store-bought icings do not work for this recipe. They are too soft and won’t provide the structure you need for a layered cake.
Tools and Materials
- Three 6 inch cake layers (Vanilla cake recipe, doubled)
- Buttercream (American Buttercream)
- Icing spatula
- Serrated Knife
- Icing scraper
- 6 inch cardboard cake rounds
- Cake turntable
I found this full set of all the tools except the serrated knife for under $20, it would be a great set to get started with: Cake Decorating Kit