There are tons of vegan cream cheese products in the market right now (trust me – I’ve spent a small fortune on them!), and I honestly didn’t think I would be able to get a delicious cream cheese frosting until I found Trader Joe’s! This is now my favorite frosting (like, eat by the spoonful favorite) and all the non-vegans I work with swear this is one of the best they have ever had! The flavor and texture are on point for the creamy consistency that pairs beautifully with everything from spiced cake to lemon.
If you are not close to a Trader Joe’s, there are cream cheese extracts and other vegan cream cheese products that will work with varied taste and texture success. I have been wanting to try to make my own and if I have success with it – I will make sure to share!
Vanilla bean paste – I definitely recommend investing in a good vanilla bean paste for frostings. It adds another layer of flavors and gives a rich look with the speaks of vanilla – which I just love! I have been using the Olive Nation brand that you can get online.
Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz Vegan Cream Cheese highly recommend Trader Joe's
- 96 g (½ cup) Shortening Spectrum Brand
- 2 tsp. Vanilla
- 625 g (5 cups) Powdered Sugar
- Beat together cream cheese and shortening together in a mixer on medium high until well combined and smooth.
- Add vanilla bean paste until combined.
- Add the powdered sugar a little at a time (I use a large serving spoon to scoop). Once all the powdered sugar is combined, scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat on high for 2 minutes or until smooth.
I like to chill the frosting for at least 10 minutes before using to give it a little more structure. Once you are done frosting your cake/cupcake, let it set up in the fridge and it holds its shape really well. You can make this frosting ahead of time and store in an airtight container in the fridge for a week or the freezer for a couple of months.